[R-pkg-devel] renaming a package

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Mon Jul 20 03:24:57 CEST 2015

On 20.07.2015 00:53, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 19/07/2015 6:19 PM, Jonathan Callahan wrote:
>> We are developing a suite of three packages related to seismology. As I was
>> dealing with 64 bit compilation issues that became apparent from a previous
>> submission attempt, another package with the name 'seismic' was accepted to
>> CRAN.
>>
>> This brings up two issues:
>>
>> 1) CRAN might wish to have better package naming guidelines than "short and
>> sweet, first come, first served".
>>
>> As the number of packages continues to rise, it might be useful to have
>> java style *OrganizationPackage* naming. In our case, we are now going to
>> release the core seismic data package as 'IRISSeismic'.
>
> I don't see a need for this.  If you want to do it for your packages, go
> ahead.
>

>> 2) What is the best practice for renaming a package that has already been
>> accepted to CRAN?
>>
>> We had previously released a 'seismicRoll' package that we may now wish to
>> rename 'IRISSeismicRoll'.
>
> Rename it and submit it.  In your message to CRAN, mention that you are
> renaming it from seismicRoll, and say why the name seismicRoll is no
> longer appropriate.
>
> Don't do this too often, but there's no problem doing it occasionally,
> when there's a good reason to do so.

Thanks, and yes, CRAN will allow renaming in case there is a really good
reason.

Note that package names, once a package got renamed, cannot be used by
others any more, hence we are allowing such a change only in rare cases
with very good reasons...
In the past not many maintainers succeeded to get us convinced...

Best,
Uwe Ligges