[R-pkg-devel] renaming a package

Jonathan Callahan jonathan at mazamascience.com
Mon Jul 20 00:19:36 CEST 2015

We are developing a suite of three packages related to seismology. As I was
dealing with 64 bit compilation issues that became apparent from a previous
submission attempt, another package with the name 'seismic' was accepted to
CRAN.

This brings up two issues:

1) CRAN might wish to have better package naming guidelines than "short and
sweet, first come, first served".

As the number of packages continues to rise, it might be useful to have
java style *OrganizationPackage* naming. In our case, we are now going to
release the core seismic data package as 'IRISSeismic'.

2) What is the best practice for renaming a package that has already been
accepted to CRAN?

We had previously released a 'seismicRoll' package that we may now wish to
rename 'IRISSeismicRoll'.

Thanks,

Jon

--