[R-pkg-devel] R CMD check crash for Ubuntu 14.04 R-3.2.1 only

Charles Geyer charlie at stat.umn.edu
Sat Jul 4 18:44:47 CEST 2015

Your "mocking" phrase in unknown to me.  I am not sure where to trace that
down.  Read the bash script for check?   Read tools:::.check_packages?
Both are clear as mud to me.

Also I just tried debugging by print statements.  That does not work.  It
leaves the C called just before the crash.  Putting a cat statement in the
R function that calls the C function prevents the crash.  I know.  If there
is memory corruption, doing anything can change the crash behavior.  So
that is not mystifying.  Just frustrating.

On Sat, Jul 4, 2015 at 10:48 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:

> Agreed on divide-and-conquer. There is no other way. Valgridn et al may
> move
> some code to registers for subtle changes.
>
> On 4 July 2015 at 10:20, Charles Geyer wrote:
> | I should add a more direct question.  When a crash occurs ONLY when
> running R
> | CMD check, how does one debug that?  Usually one would say that R CMD
> check
> | --use-valgrind
> | is the answer.  But it only segfaults when --use-vagrind is not used.  So
> | somehow we have to debug R CMD check itself.  How?
>
> By "mocking" the exact same (compile and run-time) options used by R CMD
> check. You can trace that down.  Things depend a little on whether you do
> or
> do not use user-library-paths for .libPaths() or not, whether you use
> per-user compile flags etc pp.
>
> Dirk
>
> --

Charles Geyer