[R-pkg-devel] Saving binary files in a package

Glenn Schultz glennmschultz at me.com
Sat Jul 4 02:24:15 CEST 2015

Hi All,

I am researching the criteria for submitting packages on the R website and using Hadley's packages book as a general guide.  The CRAN policy is that a package cannot write files.  My question is as follows:

Does this apply when the package is installed only?  I ask because my package does not write any files on install.  However, I have functions that allow the user to create cusip level information to create a MBS security (dated date, first payment date, etc.).  The function then saves the file as a binary to the appropiate data folder in the package file directories.  I use the same strategy to save mortgage prepayment model tuning parameters.

If the result of the function, after a package is installed, is to save a data file in the package's subdirectories does this violate CRAN policy against writing files?  I read the policy but I am not 100% sure in this case.

-Glenn