[R-pkg-devel] R CMD check crash for Ubuntu 14.04 R-3.2.1 only

Charles Geyer charlie at stat.umn.edu
Fri Jul 3 23:40:38 CEST 2015

I am trying to update a CRAN package (rcdd) for the R-3.3.0 requirements.
And I think I have done it.  But

When I do

    R CMD check rcdd

one of the tests crashes (it says it caught a segfault).  I am on an i686
box running Ubuntu 14.04 and the R is the one that comes from

    http://cran.us.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu trusty/

and is up to date.

Fine.  I have a problem.  So start debugging.  But if I

  * run the file that causes the crash with R CMD check by itself,
        it works, no crash
  * run R CMD check --use-valgrind rcdd, it works, no crash
  * run R CMD check --use-gct rcdd, it works no crash
  * use tools::check_packages_in_dir to check the tarball, it works no crash
  * if I run R CMD check with R-3.2.1 or R-devel built from source on this
box,
        it works, no crash

So it seems it is impossible to get the crash except under circumstances
that give almost no debugging info.

What do I do now?

If it helps the tarball in question is

http://users.stat.umn.edu/~geyer/rcdd_1.1-9.tar.gz