[R-pkg-devel] Issue with closures & devtools::document/check

James Toll james at jtoll.com
Sun Jun 28 21:13:56 CEST 2015

Hi,

I’m working on putting together a package of some functions I’ve been using and I’m running into an issue with closures.  I’m using Rstudio and devtools.  Here is a simple example that shows the problem I’m having.

file: R/testClosure.R
#' Test Closure
#'
#' This function is an example of a closure.
#'
#' @param y a number.
#'
#' @return A function.
#' @export
testClosure <- function (y) {
    function (x) {
        x ^ y
    }
}

file: R/square.R
#’ Square a number
#'
#' This function squares a number.
#'
#' @param x a number.
#'
#' @return A number.
#' @export
sq <- testClosure(2)

If I try to run document() or check() from devtools, I get these errors.
> document()
Updating pda documentation
Error in eval(expr, envir, enclos) (from square.R#9) :
  could not find function "testClosure"
> check()
Updating pda documentation
Error in eval(expr, envir, enclos) (from square.R#9) :
  could not find function “testClosure"

If I create something similar, that’s not a closure, I don’t have any path issues finding the other function.  This seems to only happen when I try to use a closure.  Any thoughts or suggestions on what might be happening here?  Thank you.

James