[R-pkg-devel] R CMD check package subdirectory warning on filenames

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 15:14:54 CEST 2015

  It's specific to doc files. In the current version, section 1.4 says:

Documents in inst/doc can be in arbitrary format, however we strongly
recommend providing them in PDF format, so users on almost all
platforms can easily read them. To ensure that they can be accessed
from a browser (as an HTML index is provided), the file names should
start with an ASCII letter and be comprised entirely of ASCII letters
or digits or hyphen or underscore.

  (I didn't know that browsers had trouble accessing file names that
started with a digit?)

  I don't know when this was added ...

  Ben Bolker