[R-pkg-devel] use of `dev.new` across platforms in RStudio

Alex Chubaty alex.chubaty at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 23:41:56 CEST 2015

Dear list members,

Use of platform-specific code to open new plot devices (e.g., `quartz`,
`x11`) is discouraged in favour of using `dev.new`; however, this does not
work in RStudio. A purported solution introduced in R 3.1.1 was to call
`dev.new(noRStudioGD = TRUE)`, which works on Windows, but not OSX and
Ubuntu. On these paltforms `dev.new` does not open a new plotting window,
but instead a PDF device writing to file "Rplots.pdf".

How can I open a new plot window in my package in a CRAN-approved way that
works reliably across platforms when using RStudio? Perhaps this is an
issue to take up with RStudio and/or R-Devel directly, but I'd appreciate
any insights or suggestions any of you may have.

Thank you for your help,

Alex