[R-pkg-devel] Keeping secrets in R packages

Greg Snow 538280 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 18:10:54 CEST 2015

If you just want to protect the secret from casual view (but don't
need strong encryption), then you could just use a basic
encryption/decryption algorithm, include the encrypted secret in the
package and have the function decrypt it before sending.  See the
"petals" function in the TeachingDemos package for one simple example
of doing this.  This would not be strong encryption, an intermediate
level R programmer would be able to print the secret in plain text,
but it does protect from accidental or casual viewing (anyone seeing
it would have to have deliberately set out to do so and would not be
able to claim that they just accidentally saw it).  This is fairly
quick, easy, and self contained in the package.