[R-pkg-devel] Keeping secrets in R packages

Neal Fultz nfultz at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 00:19:49 CEST 2015

I am working on updating the RGoogleDocs package to use OAuth2, since the
old api was recently turned off (at my job we use it as a poor mans
database).

As part of the auth process, I need to send google a client key and secret
in order to gain access to a spreadsheet. Is there a 'safe' place to store
the secret?
I would strongly prefer not requiring my end users to have to sign up for
their own google API keys, but I also do not want to store the secret in
the clear.

Any suggestions on best practices?

-Neal Fultz