[R-pkg-devel] license for package

Pieter Eendebak pieter.eendebak at gmail.com
Sun May 31 22:42:30 CEST 2015

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 1:56 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:

> On 29 May 2015 at 11:44, Pieter Eendebak wrote:
> | Dear developers,
> |
> | How can I specify the license for my package when my package includes
> some
> | code with other licenses (and different copyright holders). In
> particular:
> |
> | - my package is BSD 2-clause
> | - my packages in includes MPL-2 code (Eigen math library)
>
> Narrow comment: If you do 'LinkingTo: RcppEigen' you do not need to include
> the Eigen headers yourself.

This is a good suggestion. I works for my code, so I can now leave out
Eigen for the source of the R package.

> | - my package includes some MIT code (different author)
>
> You cannot relicense code by other people.  Their license stays.
>
> I agree, but still I would like to be able to include source code from
other people (as long as licenses are compatible). To be concrete: how can
one distribute a file like msstdint.h (https://code.google.com/p/msinttypes/)
within an R package and have the licenses properly set in the DESCRIPTION
file?