[R-pkg-devel] license for package

Thomas Petzoldt Thomas.Petzoldt at tu-dresden.de
Fri May 29 13:46:07 CEST 2015

Dear Pieter,

there was recently a related discussion in the JSS editorial board. Some
people took the position that there should be maximum possible freedom
for software developers in choosing an appropriate license. Others saw
the problem of confusion for users and developers of derived work, if
too many licenses come into play and advocated for a strict application
of the GPL.

In the end it was decided that "Code distributed with JSS articles uses
the GNU General Public License version 2 or version 3 or a
GPL-compatible license." (http://www.jstatsoft.org/instructions)

This compromise tries to respect both, rights of the software authors
and interests of users, who (in most cases) don't want to bother too
much about this.

More details about what is GPL compatible can be found here:
https://gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html

Information about the MPL-2 is found here:
https://www.mozilla.org/MPL/2.0/FAQ.html

R itself "as a package is licensed under GPL-2 | GPL-3", while
associated software such as packages used licenses like this:
http://www.r-project.org/Licenses/

Finally, technical advise to licensing of packages is found in "Writing
R Extensions":

http://cran.at.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-devel/R-exts.html#Licensing

Hope it helps,

Thomas