[R] when installing packages for R on Linux, is it better to use my distro's package manager, or install.packages()?

Sun Sep 29 01:27:34 CEST 2024

I always use a user library on all platforms. The renv package takes this to the next level and lets you setup per-project libraries.

To be reproducible a data analysis needs to use the same user packages, and even different versions of R can give different results. It should be up to the analyst to decide when to use upgraded software, and system package managers are a poor choice for supporting that, even on a single-user machine.