[R] when installing packages for R on Linux, is it better to use my distro's package manager, or install.packages()?

Christopher W. Ryan cwr @end|ng |rom @gency@t@t|@t|c@|@com
Sun Sep 29 00:05:08 CEST 2024

I'm running R (currently 4.4.1) on Linux Mint

> sessionInfo()
R version 4.4.1 (2024-06-14)
Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
Running under: Linux Mint 20.3
...truncated...

To install a new R package, is it better to use Linux Mint's pacakge
manager (e.g. synaptic, apt-get, or similar), or to install it within R
with install.packages("some_new_package")?

I've done both over the years (perhaps a mistake that I will some day
regret.)

Pros and cons of these two methods?

Thanks.

--Chris Ryan

--
Agency Statistical Consulting, LLC
Helping those in public service get the most from their data.

Public GnuPG email encryption key at
https://keys.openpgp.org
9E53101D261BEC070CFF1A0DC8BC50E715A672A0