[R] how to specify point symbols in the key on a lattice dotplot

Deepayan Sarkar deep@y@n@@@rk@r @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Sep 13 12:19:48 CEST 2024

On Fri, 13 Sept 2024 at 12:49, Christopher W. Ryan
<cwr using agencystatistical.com> wrote:

> I am making a dotplot with lattice, as follows:
>
> dd %>% dotplot( segment ~ transit_time, groups = impact,  data = .,
>                as.table = TRUE,
>                 pch = 16:17,
>                 cex = 1.8,
>                 scales = list(cex = 1.4),
>                auto.key = TRUE)
>
> impact is a factor with two levels.
>
> They key shows 2 open circles, one of each color of my two
> plotting symbols, one for each group. I would like the
> symbols in the key to match the plotting characters in the graph: 16
> (filled circle) for one group and 17 (filled triangle) for the second
> group.  How would I do that? I have not had any success with supplying
> arguments to auto.key, simpleKey, or key. Guess I'm not understanding
> the syntax.

Specifying key = list(...) will work, but the shortcut is to add

par.settings = simpleTheme(pch = 16:17, cex = 1.8)

That way, you don't need to specify the parameters anywhere else.

-Deepayan