[R] Integration of functions with a vector argument

Levine, Michael m|ev|n@ @end|ng |rom purdue@edu
Thu Jun 13 01:42:18 CEST 2024

Dear Ivan,

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I understand what you are saying. I am afraid I didn't explain well enough what was needed, however.  Let us again restrict ourselves to the case of two dimensions. Then, what I have is a bivariate density function f(x,y) and my intention is to obtain f(x) by integrating out y. However, I don't only need to know the value of the marginal density f(x) at one point - I need to integrate it again to obtain the marginal cumulative density function F(x) as a next step. Thus, I also need to pass x as an additional parameter before integration, and this is what makes the problem more difficult.

I tried to do the following (here H and j are additional arguments needed to obtain the estimated bivariate density function):

f.int1 <- function(x,y) {Vectorize (function(y) f(c(x,y),H=H,j=j))}
    mrg.d1 <- function(x){
    integrate(f.int1,lower=-3,upper=3)$value
    }
mrg.cdf1 <- function(x){
    integrate(mrg.d1,lower=-Inf,upper=x)$value
    }

I received the following error message:

Error in integrate(f.int1, lower = -3, upper = 3) :
  evaluation of function gave a result of wrong length

How would you go about performing this task?

Yours sincerely,
Michael

Michael Levine
Associate Professor, Statistics