[R] Interpreting p values of gls in nlme

Ebert,Timothy Aaron tebert @end|ng |rom u||@edu
Wed Jul 17 04:11:57 CEST 2024

In a lm() model a significant intercept means that the line passes above or below the intercept (x=0, y=0). A significant predictor means that the slope is not zero. More  generally the significant predictor means that the predictor has some influence on the predicted. With nlme() the relationship may not be linear. Your result indicates that you cannot tell if the relationship passes through the origin or not, but the predictor has a significant influence on the predicted.

Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: R-help <r-help-bounces using r-project.org> On Behalf Of Roland Sookias
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2024 12:08 PM
To: r-help using r-project.org
Subject: [R] Interpreting p values of gls in nlme

[External Email]

Dear all

I have undertaken some phylogenetic and non-phylogenetic regressions with
gls() in nlme with single preictor variables. A p value is associated with the intercept (upper p value) and another with the predictor variable (lower). Which p value is important? What does it mean if the intercept p value is insignificant but the predictor is still significant?

Thanks a lot, and sorry for my ignorance,

Roland