[R] Is simplify2array working for dimension > 2?

Thu Feb 8 10:32:35 CET 2024

Jean-Claude:

Well, here's my "explanation". Caveat emptor!

Note that:
"simplify2array() is the utility called from sapply() when simplify is
not false"

and

> sapply(a, I, simplify = "array")
     [,1]   [,2]
[1,] list,2 list,2
[2,] list,2 list,2

So it seems that simplify2array() is not intended to operate in the
way that you expected, i.e. that recursive simplification is done.
And, indeed, if you check the code for the function, you will see that
that is the case. Perhaps the key phrase in the docs is in the
sapply() part that says:

"sapply is a user-friendly version and wrapper of lapply by default
returning a vector, matrix or, if simplify = "array", an array ***if
appropriate***, by applying simplify2array(). "   In other words,
recursive simplification is considered not "appropriate".

FWIW I also find this somewhat confusing and think that explicitly
saying that recursive simplification is not done might make it less
so. But writing docs that  address all our possible misconceptions is
pretty difficult (or impossible!), and maybe adding that explicit
caveat would confuse others even more... :-(

Cheers,
Bert