[R] null in rao.test in R

Nick Wray n|ckmwr@y @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat Mar 11 15:21:11 CET 2023

Hello  I am testing for the homogeneity of clusters of (yearly) seasonal
data using the rao.test from the circular package.  I can't find anywhere
(including the Cran pages) which specifically mentions the null hypothesis
for this test.  Playing around with it, for example using say the toy code
beneath it would seem that the null is that the data sets tested are not
homogenous, which is fine except that seems to be contrary to normal
practice, where the null would be that the two sets are homogenous unless
there's evidence otherwise.  Has anyone else used this test and can confirm
that the null is that sets are not homogenous?

a<-2*pi*c(1,2,3)/365
b<-a+pi
rt<- rao.test(a,b)
rt$p.value

this gives two p-values of 1 - one for the equality of polar vectors, and
the second for the  test of equality of dispersions.  Although I can guess,
to be honest at the moment i'm not sure what either of these things mean
(not really an R-help question I know) as I've only just begun serious
analysis of circular data but I am surprised that this toy data gives a
p-value of 1 in each case

can anyone cast light on all this?
Thanks Nick Wray