[R] linux, emacs, R on iPhone/iPad

Erin Hodgess er|nm@hodge@@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Nov 21 19:36:09 CET 2022

Hi Dr. H:

I tried this a couple of months ago on my iPad.  Everything would load, but
when I tried to run R, it would never open.  However, my iPad is about 6
years old.  Do you need a particular model for the iPad, please?

Thanks
Erin

On Mon, Nov 21, 2022 at 11:03 AM Richard M. Heiberger <rmh using temple.edu>
wrote:

> I discovered that the "iSH shell" is available for the iPhone/iPad from
> the Applications app.
> this is Alpine linux
> Once iSH is loaded from the App store, then open it to a shell and download
>
> apk add emacs
> apk add R
>
> emacs works well for writing files and sending them to a bigger computer
> by airdrop or email etc.
> This is the real Emacs, not the "Not Emacs" app.
> The emacs uses a variant of the iPhone keyboard augmented with tab,
> control, escape, arrows keys
> and allows swiping for typing.
>
> R works sometimes in the linux shell outside emacs, but not yet from the
> emacs *shell*.
> I haven't figures out how to download ESS.
>
> iSH's help page for R
>
> https://github.com/ish-app/ish/wiki/Installing-R-and-any-package-from-the-CRAN
> gives a long docker-related way of getting arbitrary packages to work.
>
> Is there interest in forming R-sig-iOS and CRAN support for an iOS binary
> repository?
>
> Rich

Erin Hodgess, PhD
mailto: erinm.hodgess using gmail.com