[R] Circular Graph Recommendation Request

Christopher W. Ryan cry@n @end|ng |rom b|ngh@mton@edu
Mon May 30 04:10:47 CEST 2022

If the units of analysis are real spatial regions (e.g. states), how
about a cartogram?

https://gisgeography.com/cartogram-maps/

An R package (I have no experience with it)

https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/cartogram/index.html

The advantage of a cartogram is that it is a single graphic, rather than
2 like the original post referenced. No need to move eye back and forth
to decode the colors. And it maintains---as much as possible given the
distortion, which is the whole point of a cartogram--- the relative
spatial positions of the areal units (in this case, states.)  The round
figure in the original post has the northern midwestern region in the
7:00 to 8:00-ish position, what might be considered notionally the
"southwest."  A little counterintuitive.

--Chris Ryan