[R] Is there a canonical way to pronounce CRAN?

peter dalgaard pd@|gd @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon May 9 18:45:03 CEST 2022

As far as I remember, "cranberries" as a parallel to "Java beans" was part of the original CRAN concept in 1997. (This can possibly be dug out from the mailing list archives; should be around March/April 1997.) But even within R Core the pronunciaton varies, possibly even within R Core members. I think Kurt says "Krahn", Uwe "C-ran", and I likely parrot whichever one I am talking to.

- Peter D.