[R] How important is set.seed

Tue Mar 22 17:12:00 CET 2022

OK, I'm somewhat puzzled by this discussion. Maybe I'm just clueless. But...

1. set.seed() is used to make any procedure that uses R's
pseudo-random number generator -- including, for example, sampling
from a distribution, random data splitting, etc. -- "reproducible".
That is, if the procedure is repeated *exactly,* by invoking
set.seed() with its original argument values (once!) *before* the
procedure begins, exactly the same results should be produced by the
procedure. Full stop. It does not matter how many times random number
generation occurs within the procedure thereafter -- R preserves the
state of the rng between invocations (but see the notes in ?set.seed
for subtle qualifications of this claim).

2. Hence, if no (pseudo-) random number generation is used, set.seed()
is irrelevant. Full stop.

3. Hence, if you don't care about reproducibility (you should! -- if
for no other reason than debugging), you don't need set.seed()

4. The "randomness" of any sequence of results from any particular
set.seed() arguments (including further calls to the rng) is a complex
issue. ?set.seed has some discussion of this, but one needs
considerable expertise to make informed choices here. As usual, we
untutored users should be guided by the expert recommendations of the
Help file.

*** If anything I have said above is wrong, I would greatly appreciate
a public response here showing my error.***

Bert Gunter

and sticking things into it."