[R] Exact 95% CI around the mean for LogNormal distribution

Spencer Graves @pencer@gr@ve@ @end|ng |rom e||ect|vede|en@e@org
Thu Mar 17 00:47:19 CET 2022

	  The mean of a log-Cauchy (aka log-Student's t with 1 degree of
freedom) is infinite ;-)  The median and other quantiles are not
affected by transformations, though the mean is.

	  If you really want anything other than a confidence interval about
the mean of the logs, assuming a log-normal distribution, I think you
need to think very carefully about the problem you are trying to solve,
and how that might be impacted by different assumptions about the
distribution of the data.

	  And for that, I recommend normal probability plotting, i.e., qqnorm
of log(X):  If that looks plausibly like a straight line, you are fine
with a log-normal assumption.  If not, my favorite reference is

Titterington, Smith and Makov (1985) Statistical Analysis of Finite
Mixture Distributions (Wiley).

	  Hope this helps.
	  Spencer Graves