[R] Problem installing Rcmdr on version 4.1.2...

David Winsemius dw|n@em|u@ @end|ng |rom comc@@t@net
Fri Mar 4 17:58:30 CET 2022

On 3/4/22 06:59, Brian Lunergan wrote:
> On 2022-03-04 8:34 a.m., Ivan Krylov wrote:
>
>> Typically, when an R package wraps a third-party library, you need a
>> development version of it installed in order to install that package
>> from source.
>>
>> If you're running R from the Linux Mint repos, try to install
>> r-cran-nloptr from Linux Mint repositories. If you don't, or have some
>> trouble installing the package, install the libnlopt-dev Linux Mint
>> package before trying to install the nloptr R package.
>>
> libnlopt-dev installed okay, but when I tried pulling in the r-cran
> package I got this:
>
> brian using brian-Aspire-ES1-511:~$ sudo apt-get install r-cran-nloptr
That's not the typical way to install an R package from source.
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> or been moved out of Incoming.
> The following information may help resolve the situation:

>   r-cran-nloptr : Depends: r-api-3.4

Is there anything in your setup that would explain why nloptr is looking
for an ancient version of R? I'm wondering if that binary package was
created years ago and hasn't been replaced since nloptr was reconfigured
to do the work of installing nlopt?

I'm also failing to install nloptr 2.0.0 using R 4.1.2 in an Ubuntu
18.04 machine. The first reported error was not having Cmake, but
installing Cmake then leads to failure both from the R console and from
a terminal session with:

R CMD INSTALL ~/Downloads/nloptr_2.0.0.tar.gz

It fails at:

checking if pkg-config knows NLopt... no
using NLopt via local cmake build on x86_64
set CMAKE_BIN=/usr/bin/cmake
set CC=gcc -std=gnu99 -std=gnu11
set CFLAGS= -fpic -g -O2
-fdebug-prefix-map=/build/r-base-J7pprH/r-base-4.1.2=.
-fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wdate-time
-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -g
set CXX=g++
set CXXFLAGS=-std=gnu++11 -fpic -g -O2
-fdebug-prefix-map=/build/r-base-J7pprH/r-base-4.1.2=.
-fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wdate-time
-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -g -Wno-ignored-attributes
set LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro
CMake Error: The source directory
"/tmp/RtmpzB1FjU/R.INSTALL289c4748c404/nloptr/src/nlopt-build" does not
exist.

  My understanding is that the right place to post such difficulties is
on R-SIG-debian, or at the Issues page:
https://github.com/astamm/nloptr/issues/85

--

David