[R] Is it possible to set a default working directory for all R consoles?

IAGO GINÉ VÁZQUEZ |@go@g|ne @end|ng |rom @jd@e@
Mon Jun 20 09:22:57 CEST 2022

Hi all,

Thanks for your answers.

Bill, indeed I get two environment variables containing that IP address, HOME and R_USER. I do not know how may I change them. If I go to "Control Panel > User accounts > Change my environment variables" neither of those variables appear to be defined (I assume the HOME variable does not appear among the environment variables of the computer, as it relates to an address seemingly outside the PC). Beyond that, I see that there is a .Renviron file in that folder ("\\172.19.2.44\profiles\profiles\me\Documents"), while there is a Rprofile.site (only comments) file in R_HOME\etc (and there is no .Rprofile file).

Regarding the 'two nested "profile" directories', I cannot do anything on that, as it relates to an address I cannot modify as it depends not on me but on the IT department at my workplace.

How should I proceed?

Thanks!
________________________________
De: R-help <r-help-bounces using r-project.org> de part de Ebert,Timothy Aaron <tebert using ufl.edu>
Enviat el: divendres, 17 de juny de 2022 19:40
Per a: Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil using dcn.davis.ca.us>; r-help using r-project.org <r-help using r-project.org>; Spencer Graves <spencer.graves using effectivedefense.org>
Tema: Re: [R] Is it possible to set a default working directory for all R consoles?

At least in Windows having nested directories of the same name is valid. I think it unwise because of the potential for confusion, especially if multiple people will be using the directory. The other issue is that having nested directories of the same name increases path length. Some programs have trouble when a file name and path get past some character limit. Finally, long path names are more prone to typing errors. At least in R, I copy and paste path names from Explorer but then have to go back and change \ into / to get things to work.
Tim