[R] Interpreting the result of a model with random effects

Sat Jun 11 18:57:45 CEST 2022

Please note: I am not an expert.

1. If there are only 3 centers (you didn't say) , then they are not a
random selection from a larger collection of centers and a random
effects model is inappropriate anyway;

2. Otherwise, you want to estimate a centers variance component from a
sample of size 3 ??

3. You cannot -- or at least should not -- compare nested fixed
effects models (with and without 'center') with different random
effects structures. The number of df associated with random effects is
unknown, and standard (asymptotic) likelihood ratio tests are wrong.
There's a big literature on this.

So my answer is no -- the anova p-value comparison is nonsense.

Again, note my initial caveat -- perhaps it will serve as an
invitation for an expert to respond.

Bert Gunter

and sticking things into it."