[R] Problem installing R 4.2 on Ubuntu 20-04

Witold E Wolski wewo|@k| @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Jul 25 16:43:33 CEST 2022

I am failing to get R 4 installed on Ubuntu. I am following the
instructions given here:
https://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/

These are the errors I am getting:
<start>
parallels using ubuntu-linux-20-04-desktop:~/Downloads/fragpipe/bin$ sudo
apt install --no-install-recommends r-base
[sudo] password for parallels:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

 r-base : Depends: r-base-core (>= 4.2.1-1.2004.0) but it is not going
to be installed
          Depends: r-recommended (= 4.2.1-1.2004.0) but it is not
going to be installed
<end>

This is the tail of the source.lists file:

<start>
deb https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu focal-cran40/
# deb-src https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu focal-cran40/
<end>

This is the head of executing: apt-cache policy r-base
<start>
arallels using ubuntu-linux-20-04-desktop:~/Downloads/fragpipe/bin$
apt-cache policy r-base
r-base:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 4.2.1-1.2004.0
  Version table:
     4.2.1-1.2004.0 500
        500 https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu focal-cran40/ Packages
     4.2.0-1.2004.0 500
        500 https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu focal-cran40/ Packages
     4.1.3-1.2004.0 500
        500 https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu focal-cran40/ Packages
     4.1.2-1.2004.0 500

<end>

End this is for executing apt-cache policy r-base-core

<start>
parallels using ubuntu-linux-20-04-desktop:~/Downloads/fragpipe/bin$
apt-cache policy r-base-core
r-base-core:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 3.6.3-2
  Version table:
     3.6.3-2 500
        500 http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports focal/universe arm64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

<end>

Someone else described the same/similar problem here:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1373827/problems-installing-latest-version-of-r-in-ubuntu-20-04-lts

What step did I miss executing?

Best regards
Witek