[R] A humble request

Richard O'Keefe r@oknz @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun Jul 3 14:44:50 CEST 2022

This is why research students have supervisors.
A research degree is training in doing research.
When you get stuck, your supervisor (or co-supervisor) is supposed to help
you unstick yourself.
Asking random strangers can never be as good as asking someone who already
understands whatever it is you are actually trying to do.
Supervisors have knowledge and experience relevant to the research their
students are doing.  It's not always *much* more.  In fact, I once
"supervised" a student who had years of industrial experience in his topic,
when I knew just the basics of the subject.  He taught me a lot.
But one thing a supervisor ought to be able to do for you is to ask the
random strangers in a much clearer way.  He should be able to explain what
you are trying to do.
If, for example, he knows that you are trying to replicate someone else's
work as a prelude to extending it, he has the status to ask THEM what
package they recommend now.

You seem to be insisting that this one package is what you need and no
other, but you haven't told us WHY it has to be this package.
- We do not know what kind of data you have.
- We do not know why you think a wavelet analysis is appropriate.
  (I don't really understand wavelets and what they can do.  It is a big
gap in my education, but there are so many others it's near the bottom of
the list.)
- We do not yet have any reason to believe that a wavelet analysis IS a
particularly good way to deal with your data.
- We do not know what you want to learn from the data.
- We do not know whether your literature survey has turned up any other
papers doing something similar.
The metaphor I'm about to offer is a bit hyperbolic, but I hope it gets the
idea across.
Student: I want to get the HCN from the Poisons Cabinet here but the key I
have doesn't work.
Helpful random stranger: I tell you what, why not join a lock sports club
[they exist], buy the Genesis kit [real product] of lockpicking tools from
Covert Instruments [real company], and learn how to pick the lock?
REALLY helpful random stranger: What the hell do you want HCN for?

Other people have made it clear that you personally are NOT going to get
wmtsa working with reasonable effort, and nobody is paying any of us to
resurrect a dead package.  At SOME point you are going to have to describe
very clearly, as if to an intelligent 14-year-old,
- what kind of data you have
- what physical or social processes generated that data
- what kind of insight you think can be obtained from it
- what the raw data look like
- some crude "exploratory" statistics on the data
- what kinds of models other people with similar data have used
- what specific methods of analysis you intend to use/did use
- how you can tell whether the answers make sense
- what you are going to do with the answers
All of this needs to be part of the thesis.  You are going to have to write
it SOME time.  If not now, when?  If not you, who?

When you understand what you want to do well enough to explain it, you will
be able to ask much better questions, of the form
"I wanted to use wmtsa to do <X> to <Y>.
 What's a good package for that these days?
 Is there a textbook about doing <X> with R?"

As a former supervisor, I hope, oh how much I hope, that you were not
planning to just load wmtsa, turn the crank on a script you found down the
back of a couch, and believe whatever came out.  I've known Masters and
even PhD students do that.  Not mine, at least not for long.  I also hope
that you have a good supervisor and a good working relationship.  Speaking
from experience, one thing that really ANNOYS a good supervisor is a
student who stays stuck instead of asking for advice.  (I've been that
student.  I was much stupider then.)  It makes the supervisor feel
disrespected.