[R] (Off-Topic) Time for a companion mailing list for R packages?

Kevin Thorpe kev|n@thorpe @end|ng |rom utoronto@c@
Thu Jan 13 13:44:49 CET 2022

This is an interesting issue and something I have been thinking about raising with my fellow volunteer moderators.

I honestly don’t know what the best solution is. Personally, I would loathe having to check multiple web-forums/mailing lists to find an answer. New users often do not appreciate the subtleties (i.e. RStudio is not R) and will continue to post here. The frequent reply to questions outside base R that inform them they are off-topic could come across as unfriendly. That could have the side effect of making the community appear elitist. Folks are also often referred to package maintainers but not all maintainers are equally responsive to queries about their packages. In summary, it can be very hard for novice users to get the help they need.

I appreciate the desire of many to keep the focus of this list narrow, yet despite the narrow mandate there are many readers who can answer non-base R questions, which is probably one of the reasons we see the questions. I wonder if there would be an appetite to create a new list, R-package-help, that has a broad mandate (as suggested by Avi). Naturally there is no guarantee that specific questions about some esoteric package will be answered, but that’s a different problem. On the other hand, why not expand the mandate of R-help rather than going to the trouble of creating a new list? Like I said, I don’t know.

Thanks for raising the issue.

Kevin