[R] SDLC methodology for R and Data science......

Richard O'Keefe r@oknz @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Feb 14 00:53:05 CET 2022

There are at least two ways to use R.
If you have devised a statistical/data science technique
and are writing a package to be used by other people,
that is normal software development that happens to be
using R and the R tool.  Lots of attention to documentation
and tests.  Test-Driven Development is one approach.

Many R users aren't developing code for other people.
They are trying to make sense of some kind of data.
This is what used to be called "exploratory programming".
And heavyweight development processes aren't really
appropriate for this kind of work.  In traditional terms,
when you are doing exploratory programming, you spend
most of your time in the requirements phase.

Perhaps the most important thing here is to keep a log
of what you are doing and record things that didn't work,
why they didn't work, and what you learned from it.
When something DOES give you some insight, you want to
be able to do it again.

The tricky thing is scaling from exploration to development.
After playing around with one data set, you might want to
provide a script that other people can use to process
similar data sets the same way.
Use a light weight process, but make sure you have plenty
of tests, and adequate documentation.

Watts Humphrey developed something he called the "Personal
Software Process" and wrote a book about it.  I don't like
his examples for several reasons, but the point about
watching what you do and measuring it so you can improve is
well made.