[R] R: Many package imports have issues related to 'pillar'

David Winsemius dw|n@em|u@ @end|ng |rom comc@@t@net
Wed Sep 8 17:09:36 CEST 2021

On 9/8/21 3:13 AM, Sigurjón Þorsteinsson wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am looking for a solution to this problem
>> library(geepack)
> Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘geepack’:
>   .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'pillar', details:
>    call: readRDS(nsInfoFilePath)
>    error: unknown input format
>
> More information:
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/69073165/r-many-package-imports-have-issues-related-to-pillar

If you search on SO you find that the error typically lies in failing to
properly update R package libraries when you upgrade to a new
installation of R. So it may not have anything to to do with the pillar
package specifically.  My understanding (not an expert understanding) is
that this arises because the serialization protocol of rds files may
differ from version to version.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6473831/readrdsfile-in-r

You might first follow the usual path of removing any .Rdata and
.Rhistory files

Then an R console command to try might be:

update.packages(checkBuilt=TRUE, ask=FALSE) # may take a long time

--

David.