[R] Probably off topic but I hope amusing

Fri Oct 29 20:28:29 CEST 2021

AFAIK NaN originated in the floating point standard IEEE754-1985 as a range of bit patterns that have all 1 bits in the exponent, and the convention to convert such bit patterns to the string "NaN" is an obvious way to handle output of such patterns, regardless of language. Pasting a % symbol after a converted floating point number is likewise common. Not sure I see R lurking here... could just as easily be Python or Java or some other programming language.