[R] unexpected behavior in apply

Derickson, Ryan, VHA NCOD Ry@n@Der|ck@on @end|ng |rom v@@gov
Wed Oct 13 16:09:12 CEST 2021

If an oven expects fried potatoes and I put a cake in, I would hope it
complains or does nothing rather than surreptitiously poisoning my cake.
Jiefei's finding that "6" becomes " 6" during matrix coercion (apparently
for aesthetic reasons only) feels more like the latter. But I appreciate the
explanation and the solutions.

-----Original Message-----
From: PIKAL Petr <petr.pikal using precheza.cz>
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2021 5:15 AM
To: Jiefei Wang <szwjf08 using gmail.com>; Derickson, Ryan, VHA NCOD
<Ryan.Derickson using va.gov>
Cc: r-help using r-project.org
Subject: [EXTERNAL] RE: [R] unexpected behavior in apply

Hi

it is not surprising at all.

from apply documentation

Arguments
an array, including a matrix.

data.frame is not matrix or array (even if it rather resembles one)

So if you put a cake into oven you cannot expect getting fried potatoes from
it.

For data frames sapply or lapply is preferable as it is designed for lists
and data frame is (again from documentation)

A data frame is a list of variables of the same number of rows with unique
row names, given class "data.frame".

> sapply(d,function(x) all(x[!is.na(x)]<=3))
   d1    d2    d3
FALSE  TRUE FALSE

Cheers
Petr