[R] How to create a proper S4 class?

Martin Morgan mtmorg@n@b|oc @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Nov 17 16:48:45 CET 2021

Hi Leonard --

Remember that a class can have 'has a' and 'is a' relationships. For instance, a People class might HAVE slots name and age

.People <- setClass(
    "People",
    slots = c(name = "character", age = "numeric")
)

while an Employees class might be described as an 'is a' relationship -- all employeeds are people -- while also having slots like years_of_employment and job_title

.Employees <- setClass(
    "Employees",
    contains = "People",
    slots = c(years_of_employment = "numeric", job_title = "character")
)

I've used .People and .Employees to capture the return value of setClass(), and these can be used as constructors

people <- .People(
   name = c("Simon", "Andre"),
   age = c(30, 60)
)

employees = .Employees(
    people, # unnamed arguments are class(es) contained in 'Employees'
    years_of_employment = c(3, 30),
    job_title = c("hard worker", "manager")
)

I would not suggest using attributes in addition to slots. Rather, embrace the paradigm and represent attributes as additional slots. In practice it is often helpful to write a constructor function that might transform between formats useful for users to formats useful for programming, and that can be easily documented.

Employees <-
    function(name, age, years_of_employment, job_title)
{
    ## implement sanity checks here, or in validity methods
    people <- .People(name = name, age = age)
    .Employees(people, years_of_employment = years_of_employment, job_title = job_title)
}

plot() and lines() are both S3 generics, and the rules for S3 generics using S4 objects are described in the help page ?Methods_for_S3. Likely you will want to implement a show() method; show() is an S4 method, so see ?Methods_Details. Typically this should use accessors rather than relying on direct slot access, e.g.,

person_names <- function(x) x using name
employee_names <- person_names

The next method implemented is often the [ (single bracket subset) function; this is relatively complicated to get right, but worth exploring.

I hope that gets you a little further along the road.

Martin Morgan