[R] typo in documentation for array // how to report such

Mon Nov 1 10:08:00 CET 2021

    > I noticed a typo in the ?array help-file ("Multi-way
    > Arrays"), which is also at this web page:
    > https://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/R-patched/library/base/html/array.html

    > In the "Arguments" section of that page, under the
    > subheading "dimnames", the second sentence begins "This
    > must a list..." and it ought to read, "This must be a
    > list...".

    > I'm not subscribed to the mailing list, so please reply by
    > email to let me know where I should report typos like this
    > if I find any, in the future. I considered filing a bug
    > report on Bugzilla but this obviously is not a bug in R,
    > but just a mistake in the manual. I figured that someone
    > reading this mailing list would know the proper person to
    > alert, to fix the typo in the next edition of the R
    > Manual.

Thank you, Mathew!

As to your question on how/where to report a bug etc,
as we actually *do* count the documentation inside the sources,
notably the help files, as part of R in the sense of 'bug'.
We have a careful (sometimes too detailed) page on the topic:
   https://www.r-project.org/bugs.html

Still, in such cases, the most efficient -- but not always available --
approach is to privately contact a member of the R core team
with the typo to be fixed, so it will happen swiftly and not
many people need to spend time with it.
 -> https://www.r-project.org/contributors.html

Another possible venue may be to contact the  'R Contribution'
working group  --> https://forwards.github.io/rcontribution/
of which several experienced members would know how to
efficiently address this.

.. and yes, I've added the missing "be" now ... but (of course) not in time
for the release of   R 4.1.2   which is planned for today.

Martin

Martin Maechler
ETH Zurich  and  R Core team