[R] R vs Numpy

Richard O'Keefe r@oknz @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Nov 1 03:35:56 CET 2021

Reasons for preferring one to another:
 - taste.
   If you like curly braces, you'll prefer R.
   If you like indentation forced by syntax, you'll prefer Python.
 - compatibility.
   This morning I was trying to use a web site where all the Python
   examples were non-functional due to either of both of two changes
   to Python syntax.
 - tooling
   Both have pretty good tools.  For some things, R has the edge.
   For some, Python.  (There is no R analogue of PyPy.)
 - packages
   Both R and Python have vast libraries of contributed packages.
   Quite often you are more interested in a package than the language
   it runs in.  You might be surprised at what is available for R.
   Tensorflow: https://tensorflow.rstudio.com/
   Keras: https://keras.rstudio.com/

And of course, some people use both in the same project,
https://www.rstudio.com/solutions/r-and-python/

By the way, someone said that R is purely interpreted.
That's not completely true.  In R, type
?compile