[R] Spie charts

Sun Mar 28 19:22:32 CEST 2021

Probably not, for good reason (see remarks below), but you might search on
"nightingale plots"

****off topic remarks:****
The reason they are a bad idea (imo!) is that the eye is not good at
comparing angles, and this complicates the comparisons by adding radii, and
hence sector areas, into the mix. The example you linked to is nonsense: so
few numbers should not be graphed at all, because a simple table can be
easily and accurately comprehended.

For 2-d quantitative comparisons, a simple scatterplot is much more
effective at conveying the information accurately, assuming there's more
information than can be easily grasped in a small table.

Feel free to address responses and criticisms to me/ Ferri off list. I only
kept my remarks on list so that others could offer their possibly different
perspectives.

Bert Gunter

sticking things into it."