[R] Off topic --- underdispersed (pseudo) binomial data.

Abby Spurdle @purd|e@@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat Mar 27 09:11:16 CET 2021

Hi Rolf,

Let's say we have a course called Corgiology 101, with a single moderated exam.
And let's say the moderators transform initial exam scores, such that
there are fixed percentages of pass rates and A grades.

Rather than count the number of passes, we can count the number of "jumps".
That is, the number of people that pass the corgiology exam after
moderation, that would not have passed without moderation.

I've created a function to test for underdispersion, based on your expression.
(I hope I got it right).

Then I've gone on to create simulations, using both constant and
nonconstant class sizes.
The nonconstant simulations apply an (approx) discrete scaling
transformation, referred to previously.

We can see from the examples that there are a lot of these jumps.
And more importantly, they appear to be underdispersed.

----code----
PASS.SCORE <- 0.5
A.SCORE <- 0.8

#target parameters
PASS.RATE <- 0.8
A.RATE <- 0.2
#unmoderated parameters
UNMOD.MEAN.SCORE <- 0.65
UNMOD.SD.SCORE <- 0.075

NCLASSES <- 2000
NSTUD.CONST <- 200
NSTUD.NONCONST.LIMS <- c (50, 800)

sim.njump <- function (nstud, mean0=UNMOD.MEAN.SCORE, sd0=UNMOD.SD.SCORE,
    pass.score=PASS.SCORE, a.score=A.SCORE,
    pass.rate=PASS.RATE, a.rate=A.RATE)
{   x <- rnorm (nstud, mean0, sd0)
    q <- quantile (x, 1 - c (pass.rate, a.rate), names=FALSE)
    dq <- diff (q)
    q <- (a.score - pass.score) / dq * q
    y <- pass.score - q [1] + (a.score - pass.score) / dq * x
    sum (x < a.score & y >= a.score)
}

sim.nclasses <- function (nclasses, nstud, nstud.std)
{   nstud <- rep_len (nstud, nclasses)
    njump <- integer (nclasses)
    for (i in 1:nclasses)
        njump [i] <- sim.njump (nstud [i])
    if (missing (nstud.std) )
        njump
    else
        round (nstud.std / nstud * njump)
}

is.under <- function (x, n)
    var (x) < mean (x) * (1 - mean (x) / n)

njump.hom <- sim.nclasses (NCLASSES, NSTUD.CONST)
nstud <- round (runif (NCLASSES, NSTUD.NONCONST.LIMS [1],
NSTUD.NONCONST.LIMS [2]) )
njump.het <- sim.nclasses (NCLASSES, nstud, NSTUD.CONST)

under.hom <- is.under (njump.hom, NSTUD.CONST)
under.het <- is.under (njump.het, NSTUD.CONST)
main.hom <- paste0 ("const class size (under=", under.hom, ")")
main.het <- paste0 ("diff class sizes (under=", under.het, ")")

p0 <- par (mfrow = c (2, 1) )
hist (njump.hom, main=main.hom)
hist (njump.het, main=main.het)
par (p0)