[R] How to plot dates

Avi Gross @v|gro@@ @end|ng |rom ver|zon@net
Wed Mar 17 01:01:25 CET 2021

It sounds to me like you want to take your data and extract one column for
JUST the date and another column for just some measure of the time, such as
the number of seconds since midnight or hours in a decimal format where
12:45 PM might be 12.75.

You now can graph date along the X axis and time along the Y (or vice versa)
and show the result in one of many ways as points or horizontal line
segments or whatever works for you.

If you always had 4 time measures for each day, or did some work, you might
also have a column for which time that is for a day, a number ranging from
one to 4 and this column could be used to set the color or other attribute
if that was useful.

So, to review. Your one data item need not be kept as the only column and if
you make more columns, you might have something to graph.

Here is an example that worked for me doing roughly what I mentioned but
note my names changed. It makes two plots.

library (ggplot2)
myDat <- read.table(text =
                      "datetimeraw
2021-03-12 05:16:46
2021-03-12 09:17:02
2021-03-12 13:31:43
2021-03-12 22:00:32
2021-03-13 09:21:43
2021-03-13 13:51:12
2021-03-13 18:03:13
2021-03-13 22:20:28
2021-03-14 08:59:03
2021-03-14 13:15:56
2021-03-14 17:25:23
2021-03-14 21:36:26",
                    sep = ",", header = TRUE)
head(myDat)
myDat$datetime <- as.POSIXct(myDat$datetimeraw, tz = "", format ="%Y-%M-%d
%H:%M:%OS")
myDat$date <- factor(format(myDat$datetime, "%Y-%m-%d"))
myDat$time <- format(myDat$datetime, "%H:%M")
myDat$seq <- factor(rep(1:4, 3))

# just dots
ggplot(data=myDat,aes(x=date, y=time)) + geom_point(aes(color=seq))

# Also text
ggplot(data=myDat,aes(x=date, y=time, label=time)) +
  geom_point(aes(color=seq)) +
               geom_text(aes(color=seq))