[R] quantile from quantile table calculation without original data

David Winsemius dw|n@em|u@ @end|ng |rom comc@@t@net
Sun Mar 7 01:32:33 CET 2021

On 3/6/21 1:02 AM, Abby Spurdle wrote:
> I came up with a solution.
> But not necessarily the best solution.
>
> I used a spline to approximate the quantile function.
> Then use that to generate a large sample.
> (I don't see any need for the sample to be random, as such).
> Then compute the sample mean and sd, on a log scale.
> Finally, plug everything into the plnorm function:
>
> p <- seq (0.01, 0.99,, 1e6)
> Fht <- splinefun (temp$percent, temp$size)
> x <- log (Fht (p) )
> psolution <- plnorm (0.1, mean (x), sd (x), FALSE)
> psolution
>
> The value of the solution is very close to one.
> Which is not a surprise.
>
> Here's a plot of everything:
>
> u <- seq (0.000001, 1.65,, 200)
> v <- plnorm (u, mean (x), sd (x), FALSE)
> plot (u, v, type="l", ylim = c (0, 1) )
> points (temp$size, temp$percent, pch=16)
> points (0.1, psolution, pch=16, col="blue")

Here's another approach, which uses minimization of the squared error to
get the parameters for a lognormal distribution.

temp <- structure(list(size = c(1.6, 0.9466, 0.8062, 0.6477, 0.5069,
0.3781, 0.3047, 0.2681, 0.1907), percent = c(0.01, 0.05, 0.1,
0.25, 0.5, 0.75, 0.9, 0.95, 0.99)), .Names = c("size", "percent"
), row.names = c(NA, -9L), class = "data.frame")

obj <- function(x) {sum( qlnorm(1-temp$percent, x[[1]],
x[[2]])-temp$size )^2}

# Note the inversion of the poorly named and flipped "percent" column,

optim( list(a=-0.65, b=0.42), obj)

#--------------------

$par
          a          b
-0.7020649  0.4678656

$value
[1] 3.110316e-12

$counts
function gradient
       51       NA

$convergence
[1] 0

$message
NULL

I'm not sure how principled this might be. There's no consideration in
this approach for expected sampling error at the right tail where the
magnitudes of the observed values will create much larger contributions
to the sum of squares.

--

David.