[R] Image processing in R for BMI calculation

Abby Spurdle @purd|e@@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Mar 1 01:52:54 CET 2021

Hi Paul,

If the background is relatively uniform:
Then a simple algorithm could be used, to distinguish foreground from
background points.
Essentially, returning a logical matrix.

Otherwise, I'm assuming that suitable pooling/convolution operations
could be used for this purpose.

Then you could estimate *relative* measures of height and mass from
the logical matrix.
(With more precise measures being possible, if you know the image scales).

There are a number of R packages for reading images.
Currently, I mainly use Simon Urbanek's package, "png".

I'm currently creating a package with support for pooling/convolution
operations, and related utility functions.
However, it's not ready yet.

Another option is Jeroen Ooms' package, "magick".

best,
B.