[R] How to spot/stop making the same mistake

Wed Jun 23 17:55:42 CEST 2021

Just as a way to save a bit of typing, instead of

> as.logical(0:4)
[1] FALSE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE

> !!(0:4)
[1] FALSE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE

DO NOTE that the parentheses in the second expression should never be
omitted, a possible reason to prefer the as.logical() construction.
Also note that !!  "acts [only] on raw, logical and number-like vectors,"
whereas as.logical() is more general. e.g. (from ?logical):

> charvec <- c("FALSE", "F", "False", "false",    "fAlse", "0",
+              "TRUE",  "T", "True",  "true",     "tRue",  "1")
> as.logical(charvec)
 [1] FALSE FALSE FALSE FALSE    NA    NA  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE    NA    NA
> !!charvec
Error in !charvec : invalid argument type

Cheers,
Bert

Bert Gunter

sticking things into it."