[R] Unending loop

Thu Jul 29 13:47:56 CEST 2021

Hi Nick,

Thanks for providing an example that doesn't seem to depend on external
data!

On Thu, 29 Jul 2021 09:07:12 +0100
Nick Wray <nickmwray using gmail.com> wrote:

> I am looking at the extRemes package

It's probable that there aren't many extRemes users on R-help, but if
you contact the maintainer of extRemes (run maintainer('extRemes') to
get their name and address), you might get help that way.

> When I run it on my own laptop it works fine, but when I run it on my
> uni laptop (which is pretty new and I only was given a couple of
> months ago) when it gets to the thresh.range line it goes into an
> unending loop (or something) with the little red Stop button, and
> just sits there.

If you interrupt it there, backtrace() will point you in the direction
of seemingly endless loop. You can also set options(error = recover)
and get a debugger prompt at the point where you interrupted the code
or in any other frame. See ?browser and RShowDoc('R-lang') part 9
"Debugging" for more information.

> I have R 4.0.4 on my uni laptop and R 4.0.5 on my own one.  Could
> this be the reason?

I'm afraid it's easier for you to answer this question. It should be
possible to install R on computers even without administrator access.
Can you reproduce the issue with
https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/old/4.0.4/ on your own
laptop or https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/old/4.0.5/ on the
university-issued one?

> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

This mailing list strips away the HTML part of multipart/mixed
messages, so to make sure that your messages look exactly as you type
them, please compose them in plain text.

--
Best regards,
Ivan