[R] Plotting confidence intervals with ggplot, in multiple facets.

Avi Gross @v|gro@@ @end|ng |rom ver|zon@net
Sun Jul 18 21:11:02 CEST 2021

Rolf,

Your example shows two plots with one above the other.

If that is what you want, then a solution like the one  Jeff provided  using
facet_grid() to separate data based on the parameter value. It also scales
up if you add additional sets of data for gamma and delta up to a point.

An alternative to consider if your ggplot wizardry has not kicked in, or if
your need is to connect more diverse plots into a sort of collage, is to
make multiple plots and save them as in:

P1 <- ggplot(...) ...
P2 <- ggplot(...) ...

Each of these two or more plots can operate on whatever data you supply it.
In your case, you would filter the rows that have the values you want.

Then you can use one of many packages out there such as cowplot or gridextra
to consolidate the parts as in:

plot_grid(P1, P2)

Or

grid.arrange (P1, P2)

These other functions vary in functionality but many allow you to adjust how
many rows or columns you want or the relative sizes of the subplots and so
on. Some allow you to create output into things like a PDF where parts spill
over well into additional pages.

I note one think Jeff did not replicate. If you want that in your output,
use geom_hline as shown below:

ggplot(dta,aes(x=Ndat,y=estimate, ymin=lower,ymax=upper))+
  geom_point() +
  geom_errorbar(width=30) +
  geom_hline(yintercept = 0, color="red") +
  facet_grid(param~1)

Personally, I sometimes adjust the limits to make a graph truly start at
zero but in your case you can have error bars being displayed with parts
below zero so showing where zero is graphically can be useful.