[R] density with weights missing values

Mon Jul 12 18:35:46 CEST 2021

My point (confusingly made!) is that documented behavior is all you
should expect. The docs say that weights must be non-negative numeric.
If they aren't...

"Consistency" of behavior among different functions is highly
subjective -- it depends exactly on what one considers to be
"consistent", nicht wahr? And, of course, with thousands of packages
and hundreds of weight functions used for different purposes, this
seems a practical impossibility here.

However, I would agree that given R's "organic" growth over time,
"jarring" inconsistencies (i.e. that most would agree are
inconsistent) may exist. This may be such a case. But, again, all you
can do is follow the docs whether or not the behavior meets your
"reasonable" expectations.

Just my opinion, of course. Consume at your own risk.

Bert Gunter

and sticking things into it."