[R] add a variable a data frame to sequentially count unique rows

Yuan Chun Ding ycd|ng @end|ng |rom coh@org
Sat Jul 3 02:26:30 CEST 2021

Hi Avi,

Thank you for your patient with me!!

Your code below generated what I want.
test %>%
  group_by(group1,group2) %>%
  mutate(count2 = ifelse(row_number()==1, TRUE, FALSE)) %>%
  ungroup()

your code reminded me of the SAS first. And last. Function.  I gave up SAS several years ago.

Ding
-----Original Message-----
From: Avi Gross [mailto:avigross using verizon.net]
Sent: Friday, July 2, 2021 5:14 PM
To: Yuan Chun Ding <ycding using coh.org>; r-help using r-project.org
Subject: RE: [R] add a variable a data frame to sequentially count unique rows

Ding,

Just to get you to stop asking, here is a solution I hope works.

In English, if you are asking that ONE instance of a duplicate be marked in a new column with TRUE or 1 while all remaining ones are marked as FALSE or
2 or whatever, that is easy enough. The method is to use the assistive function row_number() inside a grouped mutate() and only one item has a row number of 1 and all others higher.

If I load your test variable (see below) I can add another column I called
count2 fairly easily with this:

test %>%
  group_by(group1,group2) %>%
  mutate(count2 = ifelse(row_number()==1, TRUE, FALSE)) %>%
  ungroup()

The output matches your first count variable made by hand:

> test %>%
  +   group_by(group1,group2) %>%
  +   mutate(count2 = ifelse(row_number()==1, TRUE, FALSE)) %>%
  +   ungroup()
# A tibble: 9 x 4
group1 group2 count count2
  1 g1     k1         1 TRUE
2 g1     a2         1 TRUE
3 g1     a2         2 FALSE
4 g2     c5         1 TRUE
5 g2     n6         2 TRUE
6 g2     n6         2 FALSE
7 g2     n6         2 FALSE
8 g2     m10        3 TRUE
9 g2     m10        3 FALSE

Now if you actually want to have a count of first and 2nd and third, it is even easier:

test %>%
  group_by(group1,group2) %>%
  mutate(counter = row_number()) %>%
  ungroup()

Unfortunately for you, my version of output suggest you made a mistake on the last row with g2/n6:

> test %>%
  +   group_by(group1,group2) %>%
  +   mutate(counter = row_number()) %>%
  +   ungroup()
# A tibble: 9 x 4
group1 group2 count counter
  1 g1     k1         1       1
2 g1     a2         1       1
3 g1     a2         2       2
4 g2     c5         1       1
5 g2     n6         2       1
6 g2     n6         2       2
7 g2     n6         2       3
8 g2     m10        3       1
9 g2     m10        3       2

There are of course other ways to do such things but the above seems simple enough.