[R] Error when calling (R 4.0.x on Windows) from Python

Wed Jan 27 22:25:08 CET 2021

On 27/01/2021 3:40 p.m., Bill Dunlap wrote:
> I believe the problem is from svn 77925 in gnuwin/front-ends/rcmdfn.c,
> which was committed a few days after 3.6.3 was released.  Rterm used
> to put double quotes around a command line argument only if it
> contained a space, now it double quotes all arguments.  It sees shell
> constructs like "1>" and the following file name as arguments and
> double quoting them hides them from the shell, leading to this
> problem.  I think we may have to rely on the user supplying quotes as
> needed instead of blindly adding them.

Okay, now I see what you mean.

If you invoke R using R.exe, it asks cmd.exe to run Rterm.exe, so it is
possible that redirection would be handled.

If you invoke R directly using Rterm.exe, then my description down below
would be correct.

Duncan Murdoch