[R] Troubles installing Rcmdr on Mac

John Fox j|ox @end|ng |rom mcm@@ter@c@
Tue Jan 12 15:19:39 CET 2021

Dear Eberhard,

On 2021-01-12 12:32 a.m., Dr Eberhard W Lisse wrote:
> John,
>
> what is wrong with installing Xcode’s command lime tools (not Xcode itself)?

Nothing, and I did miss the distinction, but it shouldn't be necessary,
and the instructions for installing the Rcmdr are already more
complicated on macOS than on other platforms because of the necessity to
install XQuartz. Users should be able to install the Rcmdr package on
macOS without having to install packages from source.

Remember that Rcmdr users are typically students in basic statistics
courses, many of whom have limited software sophistication.
Unnecessarily complicating the installation is undesirable. Of course,
if it's necessary to complicate the installation, one has to live with that.

I'll be interested to learn whether my suggestions solve the problem. If
not, I can add an instruction concerning the Xcode tools to the Rcmdr
installation notes for macOS.

Thanks for your help,
  John