[R] md5sum issues

Wed Feb 3 10:06:42 CET 2021

On 03/02/2021 2:14 a.m., Ivan Krylov wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Feb 2021 17:01:05 +0100
> Ivan Calandra <calandra using rgzm.de> wrote:
>
>> This happens to all text-based files (Rmd, MD, CSV...) but not to
>> non-editable files (PDF, XLSX...).
>
> This is probably caused by Git helpfully converting text files from LF
> (0x10) line endings to CR LF (0x13 0x10) when checking out the
> repository clone on Windows (and back when checking in).
>
> This configuration option is described in Pro Git:
> https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Customizing-Git-Git-Configuration#_core_autocrlf

I agree with Ivan K, but don't agree with the advice in that book.

It's best to just leave files alone, not to convert between LF and
CR-LF.  I don't think this confuses many Windows editors these days, but
if your editor forces files into CR-LF form, you should fix the editor,
not try to work around it.

In my opinion everyone should run

  git config --global core.autocrlf false

Some more arguments for this (in the context of Github Actions) are here:

https://github.community/t/git-config-core-autocrlf-should-default-to-false/16140

Duncan Murdoch